The 1st meeting of the Islander Math Circles, Fall 2013
Facilitators: Sarah Ives, Kim Moore, George Tintera
- An Area Problem:
- What is the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in this triangle?
- What is the width and length of that rectangle?
- Can you prove your answer algebraically?
- What relationships do you notice between the dimensions?
- Can you prove that these relationships would hold true for any maximum rectangle inscribed in a triangle?
- Some Surprising Theorems about Rectangles : What About Squares?